SPace is seeking RESIDENT CHEFS
SPACE on Ryder Farm is seeking to engage experienced chefs for a minimum of two consecutive work weeks over the course of SPACE’s 2018 season, which runs June through October.
Overview of Chef Responsibilities:
- Prepare and serve three meals daily for residents, interns, staff and guests. Meals serve 12-24 people. The average weekly food budget is approximately $900.
- Craft menus inspired by the seasonal organic produce from Ryder Farm and other local vendors that meet the specifications of any dietary restrictions, exhibit the Chef’s own personal style and incorporate SPACE’s farm-fresh brand.
- Prepare product orders and pick up orders from local suppliers, do weekly grocery shopping and utilize the Ryder Farm CSA and farming operation for fresh ingredients for all meals prepared.
- Mentor and train the intern corps (who assist in the kitchen and function as sous chefs).
- Maintain a clean and sanitary kitchen, pantry and fridge.
- Comfortable with and inspired by seasonal farm-to-table style of cooking.
- An enthusiasm and passion for cooking and sharing food with large groups of people (Chefs will eat and live alongside SPACE residents in a creative atmosphere).
- Ability and interest in educating and mentoring the SPACE intern corps on meal planning and cooking.
- Comfortable and excited to cook for a variety of dietary restrictions including, but not limited to: vegetarian, gluten-free and vegan.
- Ideal candidates will have at minimum 1 year restaurant experience (FOH or BOH).
More about the Position:
Compensation is $675.00 a week, payable according to all federal/state payroll practices. To apply, please email SPACE's Food Program Coordinator, Kate Eminger, at email@example.com the below materials in PDF form by March 14, 2018. Please make the subject line of your e-mail Resident Chef Application 2018.
- A current résumé
- Answers to the following questions (maximum 250 words per question):
- What is your food philosophy?
- How do you respond to living and working in communal environments?
- What does being a Food Citizen mean to you?
- Describe how you would host a dinner party in your home.
- A two day sample menu (breakfast, lunch and dinner each day) which includes at least one meal with a gluten free option and one meal with a vegan option.
SPACE is deeply committed to the belief that inclusion, equity, support and radical hospitality are vital in creating dialogue that leads to lasting change. SPACE on Ryder Farm is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.