"While I was at SPACE, I was able to be a part of something bigger than myself, and give to a truly unique place. I cultivated over fifty personal relationships with working artists and professionals. I learned to cook healthy, nourishing meals, how to conduct nonprofit grant research, and just how many weeds you need to pull to recover a secret garden."
- Mason Hensley, 2015 Intern
SPACE is seeking Chefs for our 2017 Season
Overview of Chef Responsibilities
- Prepare and serve three meals a day to residents, interns, staff and guests (average meal serves 10-24 people. Weekly average budget of $900).
- Craft your own menu that meets the specifications of the dietary restrictions of residents, exhibits your own personal flair and incorporates SPACE’s farm-fresh brand (it is critical that ingredients from the farm are incorporated in all meals)
- Prepare orders from purveyors, do grocery shopping, and visit farming operation for fresh ingredients for all meals prepared
- Mentor the intern corps (who will assist you and function as sous chefs)
- Maintain a clean and sanitary kitchen, pantry and fridge
- Comfortable cooking for a variety of dietary restrictions including, but not limited to: vegetarian, gluten-free, vegan, and carnivores alike
- Minimum 1 year restaurant experience (FOH or BOH).
- Comfortable with farm-to-table style of cooking
- An enthusiasm and passion for cooking and sharing food with large groups of people
- Ability and interest in educating and mentoring the SPACE intern corps on meal planning and cooking
More about the position:
Compensation is $650.00 a week, payable according to all federal/state payroll practices. To Apply please email a letter of interest, résumé, two references and a three day sample menu to email@example.com.
We’d love for you to join us on the farm! Volunteer responsibilities may include, but are not be limited to:
Rehabilitating and maintaining Ryder Farm’s outdoor landscape and historic structures through committed long-term projects
Assisting with the execution of SPACE’s community events, specifically our Seasonal Suppers and the Sharing SPACE series
Providing administrative support
Why volunteer for SPACE?
A SPACE volunteer can expect to gain valuable work experience, connect with a community of artists, innovators and farmers and enjoy farm-fresh fare sourced from Ryder Farm. The volunteer experience can be tailored to all shapes and sizes. Whether you’re looking to broaden your knowledge of artists and the artistic community, dig into the soil, wield a hammer or understand more 3-dimensionally the business of running a non-profit organization, SPACE offers something for everyone. Additionally, volunteering at SPACE could satisfy community service requirements from your local High School.
Who are we looking for?
SPACE seeks motivated, flexible, generous and resourceful individuals who possess a positive attitude and are not afraid of hard work.